Saturday 12 October 2013

Heidi's Naughty Antics

I can't help but think that perhaps Heidi is just feeling more at home, in 'her home'. She has been with us about 8 months, and in the past couple of weeks, along with the barking, I have noticed a few other things that she has done for the first time. Turning her bed upside-down is a new favourite ..


We caught her with her front paws on the diningroom chair, trying to get to food on the table. Another time, I had half a box of After Eight's (chocs) on the mantlepiece, out of her reach on purpose, and whereas before she would have shown no interest, I caught her sniffing upward and reaching a paw forward as if to elevate herself. Her toys are kept in the empty fireplace, but she usually just plays with something if we throw it to her, or she finds it in her path. She has started taking a soft toy to play with from the fireplace now, and sometimes taking one and taking it through to her bed in the bedroom, .. but that is cute!

Hmmm, and I can't help but think she has snuck onto the bed a time or 2 without us knowing. She learned that this was not allowed in her first week here and she has not done it since. But .. recently I have found evidence. And it took some time to catch her in the act, but we did, and there she was sprawlled out in the sunbeam, but since we told her off, she hasn't done it again, yet.


So, she has still been barking here and there, whining alot pestering for food, even 15 minutes after being fed. Tonight she kept pestering me, and then as I was petting her she started barking and her tail was circling - which I have read is a sign of playfullness. I took her out an early walk and let her run off the lead. When I dropped her back home I popped along to the shop and bought a jar of smooth peanut butter and some discounted smoked ham for her Kong. Now I can watch Strictly Come Dancing in peace.


She is a good doggie really.

3 comments:

  1. A friend of mine rehomed a collie , Meg, who had lived her life mostly tied up outdoors, on her own on a farm. She was no good at working so was largely ignored. My friend has had her two years now and she is just starting to play a little, she has barked just twice in all the time she has been in her new home. She didn't know any commands, or how to play with even a ball and had never eaten anything but dry food - didn't know what a treat was. When S got her she couldn't tell what colour she was as she was caked in mud, it took hours of showering and two bottles of shampoo before she was clean and fluffy. She is the most gentle tempered and totally sweet dog that I have ever come across though and it is so nice now to see her coming out of her shell and playing. Sometimes I take her out walking with Jake and at first they were like toddlers playing alongside each other but not together, now they really play together and it is so lovely to watch.
    I love reading about Heidi and her progress, you are doing such a wonderful job with her, I bet she still can't believe her luck at ending up in your care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is really interesting. And a good story, it must be lovely to see them play! I am still learning alot - each time I think she has settled in and come along, she will settle in more, which is of course great to see. A couple of times she has run with 2 lurchers that we know, but hasn't shown interest in being with other dogs at all really. It would be nice for her to get with other greyhounds I think.

      Delete
  2. This is a sweet glimpse into the inner life of Heidi, as she adjusts to her new life as a beloved pet, exploring her boundaries and feeling her way through her new home. I love how she takes a toy from the fireplace now, and how she tried to touch the chocolates!!

    ReplyDelete